Baked Plantain Crisps
In another attempt at a healthy snack, I started out briskly getting my ducks in a row - peeling the plantains, preheating the oven and pulling out the mandoline slicer, convincing myself "This time I will use this slicer without chopping off a chunk of my finger". Just as I was thinking so, ouch! A pool of blood and again, there goes a little piece of myself. Never once have I used my mandoline slicer without an accident, but on the bright side, I can take pride in my perseverance! Well, at least the results were worth all this trouble :)


Ingredients:

plantain (raw banana) - 2 large
red chilli powder - 3/4 tsp (adjust according to taste)
cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
turmeric powder - a pinch
oil - 2 tbsp
salt - 1 tsp (adjust according to taste)

Method:

Peel and slice the plantains evenly (without hurting your fingers unlike me ;) Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add plantain slices and mix well, just to allow the seasoning to coat the plantain slices. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees (Fahrenheit) for about 30 minutes to make it crispy.

Notes:
Baking times vary from oven to oven. Bake for lesser time if you like it soft instead of crispy.
12 Responses
  1. Satya Says:

    nicely presented raw banana recipe ...and with baking a very good healthy alternative to traditional frying in oil


  2. Priya Suresh Says:

    Thats a great looking plantain crisps, absolutely yummy..


  3. Pia Says:

    baked chips is actually a better and healthy idea. Nice recipe


    A new event,Innovative Salads, has started in the Cookhealthy.in, I will really happy if you will participate in it

    Innovative Salads


  4. Pushpa Says:

    Yummy baked crisps.


  5. Perfect, crispy and healthy..


  6. swapna Says:

    Healthy and crispy....


  7. aipi Says:

    they look so tempting.. would love to munch on them :)

    US Masala


  8. My I'm a major fan of healthy chips, this would certainly fires up my tongue. I'm thinking a make over cheese dip would be a great partner. Yum yum.


  9. Reva Says:

    Baked chips instead of fried...looks so wonderful. First time here and I must say U have a wonderful blog and exotic recipes... Keep rocking... Glad that I bumped onto your blog and even more glad to follow U...!
    Reva


  10. Sarah Naveen Says:

    nice recipe..healthy and yummy!!


  11. We have had the pleasure of reviewing "Vegetarian Cultural Creatives" and I'm pleased to inform you that your blog has been included to Indian Cooking Blogs at http://indiancookingblogs.blogspot.com

    Thank you for sharing your blog with us and the many readers of our blog directory. You can also submit recipes to Indian Cooking Blogs to drive traffic to your blog. Keep up the great work Sowmya and we look forward to your future post.

    Team at Indian Cooking Blogs


  12. baked is delicious and healthy
    we usually fry
    Sowmya I am following you


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • Memberships
    Vegetarian Cultural Creatives

    Promote Your Page Too
    All recipes are on Petitchef
    Half Hour Meals